Sunday, April 26, 2015

Week 4 Assignment

The human body captivates beauty in the sense that it can make art, produce art, hear and see art, and, ultimately, it is art.  For centuries, people have been using the human body as forms of art work.  One source claims, “From paintings to sculpture, body art to performing art, the body has figured prominently in the creative expression of nearly all cultures from the beginning of civilization.  Through art, the body come becomes a site for defining individual identity, constructing sex and gender ideals, negotiating power, and experimenting with the nature of representation itself” (Learner.org).  

My favorite form of anatomy in art would have to be sculpture.  I love the idea of a body in an artificial material, imitating certain figures or people.  Sculpture does a terrific job of exemplifying how the artist wants a certain type of human or specific person perceived at that point in history.  Here, Rob Mueck uses his craftsman skills to portray very real sculptures.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514500/Are-life-like-sculptures-produced-Artist-creates-hyper-realistic-models-humans.html
http://learner.org/courses/globalart/work/138/index.html

As mentioned in the lecture, the Human Genome Project is absolutely enthralling.  The race to discover the genetics and DNA systems of the body proves to be nearly as exhilarating as the famous ‘Space Race’ between the US and the Soviet Union in the1960s (Genome.gov).  
http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2013/05/24/3766923.htm


Lastly, jewelry takes skills and pristine precision, proving as one of the more intricate forms of art.  Not only is jewelry worn on the body, but it can also be used in context with parts of the body.  This specific piece pictured below illustrates a hand on what looks like would be the jewel of a necklace.  This is a riveting example of mixing the body and art, as you see the body in art and then the art on the body.  Personally, this interests me because of the irony and dynamics of this concept.

http://www.metalemily.com/portfolio/PortfolioEnamelBTLE.html

Sources:

 "All About The Human Genome Project (HGP)." All About The Human Genome Project (HGP). N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <http://www.genome.gov/10001772#al-2>.

 "Emily Watson | Metal & Enamel Jewelry | Enamel Jewelry | beyond the Lover's Eye | Anatomical | Anatomy." Emily Watson | Metal & Enamel Jewelry | Enamel Jewelry | beyond the Lover's Eye | Anatomical | Anatomy. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <http://www.metalemily.com/portfolio/PortfolioEnamelBTLE.html>.

"MoMA Learning." MoMA. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <http://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/investigating-identity/the-body-in-art>.

 Reilly, Jill. "Are These the Most Life-like Sculptures Ever Produced? Artist Creates Hyper-realistic Models of Humans." Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 27 Dec. 2013. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514500/Are-life-like-sculptures-produced-Artist-creates-hyper-realistic-models-humans.html>.

"13 / The Body." Art Through Time: A Global View. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <http://learner.org/courses/globalart/theme/13/index.html>.

2 comments:

  1. LC I'm stoked on this post.I really liked what you said about the genetics and DNA. It's crazy to me that something so small can house so much. Ive heard that if you unwind them they are beyond long. I also wrote about the body being art so I'm happy to read that you put it in the context of jewelry. Iv'e never thought of it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really liked your post! I thought you opening line talking about all the ways in which the body can be used as art, " it can make art, produce art, hear and see art, and, ultimately, it is art" was a particularly good opening sentence because it all at once made me see both the importance of the topic and gave me your views in an interesting way. I also thought your paragraph about jewelry was interesting. I didn't really ever think of jewelry as having to do with the body, because I always kind of thought it was more like working with rocks, but now I see that jewelry in fact, has little to do with the stones its cut from. It is much more about how it is worn, who wears it and how it makes that person feel. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete