http://www.mcmurraystern.com/press-release-mcmurray-stern-to-exhibit-at-ucla-small-business-resource-fair/
Growing up, I was always forced to take general classes associated with both cultures, and I was expected to do exceedingly well no matter the subject. This caused me to develop my intellectual and creative sides. Like Snow describes in The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution, I also surrounded myself with diverse people from several different ways of thinking and creating. Specifically, my mother works as a banker on Wall Street, while my father enjoys writing, painting, and music. Due to these two influences in my everyday life growing up, I understand the difference of the two cultures and how prominent they truly can be.
Personal Photo
This great divide socially constructs that there are only two types of thinkers in the world. Although some, like myself, function much better in one sector, there are several people that can think in both ways. This could perhaps be a "third culture" of those that fall into neither or both categories. I believe in the third culture due to the fact that both of my brothers fall into this category. They are engineers that can play guitar. One even likes to paint and do glassblowing, while the other takes on management roles in his business. The divide of the cultures may be possible, but it is not guaranteed. I believe that classes such as DESMA 9 allow students that fit into this third culture to truly experience their nature, and the people that think specifically "north" or "south" can use this class as a swift transition to comprehend the opposing sector. I feel that I will benefit from the style of the class as a "third culture" experience.
http://www.academicentertainment.com/blog/stem-vs-steam-do-you-know-difference
Sources:
Bohm, D. "On Creativity." JSTOR. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2013.
Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." The Third Culture. N.p., n.d. Web. Feb. 1998.
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.
Wilson, Stephen D. “Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology.” College Art Association Meetings. New York, New York, 2000. Print



I enjoyed reading your first post Lara. It is interesting how your family dynamics are separated into two diverse cultures, and how that is influencing you.
ReplyDeleteI too feel that I can benefit from this style of class as a "third culture" experience!
yayy